ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion
Go Back   ActionFigureNews.ca - Canadian Action Figure News and Discussion > Action Figure Discussion > Mattel Toy Discussion

Old 02-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #1
Robimus
Super Moderator
Classic He-Man Rated the most innovative toy line ever by Toyfare Magazine

The article is in the current issue of Toyfare and is a nice look back at a really fun and popular toyline. Lottsa fun battle action on those guys.

Last edited by Robimus; 02-17-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Super_Megatron
Instagram: colin_tfcon
Re: Classic He-Man Rated the mst innovative toy line ever by Toyfare Magazine

Online or just in the magazine? This isn't surprising as Toyfare has always seemed to have a hard-on for MOTU.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Cemetary Man
Super Friend

From what I've seen, these figures look fantastic! Too bad you can only get them online.
Cemetary Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
CobraCommander
Jedi Knight

I really want this line, but yeah the online exclusivity sucks balls! I didn't even know these were coming out until they did, it's amazing how much they look like the original artwork on the back of the toys!
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
Robimus
Super Moderator

The classic 80's line, not the new stuff.
Robimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #6
CobraCommander
Jedi Knight

Oh, that stuff

I recall almost every character had the same limbs and fury underwear, I used to rip the arms off and interchange them with each other making new characters. I guess that was kinda fun. The one thing I didn't like was that elastic binding the legs together, a couple of mine snapped

Most Innovative? I don't think so, that should go to Transformers or even Micronaughts!

Some things I really liked about MOTU was the artwork on the boxes, really beautiful stuff, that's probably what drew me into the figures the most!

B/S/T Threads:
ActionFigureNews
Hisstank
Cybertron.ca

Feedback Threads:
ActionFigureNews
Cybertron.ca

Last edited by CobraCommander; 02-17-2009 at 11:04 PM.
CobraCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
counteresperanto
Cobra Trooper

It seems justified to me. MOTU successfully employed a lot of different gimmicks in its' figures, vehicles, and playsets, and I think it's important to say that "successful implementation" is a necessary condition for "innovation". New and creative ideas that are not successfully implemented I would call "curiousities" and sometimes "abominations".

Look at Ram Man. Objectively, you'd think people would hate this "action figure" whos' "action" is basically nonexistent thanks to his gimmick! The reality is that Ram Man is a beloved character and fondly remembered toy, to such a degree, that the 200x remake of Ram Man sports the exact same gimmick, and nearly as little articulation as the 1983 version. Fans were pleased with this.

Conversely, Transformers started out with an innovative gimmick, but I'd say they struggled to find ways to avoid stagnation. The only two ideas that were really successful, in my mind, are triple changers and combiner teams. Things like Headmasters and Pretenders, in one way or another, were not as great as they could/ should have been. It would be right to say that Beast Wars was a great innovation, but in the spirit of the article, I'm limiting myself to the 80's.
counteresperanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Aernaroth
Red Shirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCommander View Post
Oh, that stuff

I recall almost every character had the same limbs and fury underwear, I used to rip the arms off and interchange them with each other making new characters. I guess that was kinda fun. The one thing I didn't like was that elastic binding the legs together, a couple of mine snapped

Kind of strange they'd call it the most innovative, since most of the gimmicks and even many of the mold designs were taken from earlier Mattel figures, such as Conan The Barbarian. And, of course, the aforementioned reusing of parts.
Aernaroth is offline   Reply With Quote